Click this photo to listen on iTunes!
The After the Harvest Podcast is officially here! After I published my book in 2013, I knew I wanted to do another creative project inspired by this blog, I just didn't know what would emerge next. After becoming obsessed with a slew of other podcasts, I decided to throw my hat into the ring. I am excited to be embarking upon this podcasting journey, and I hope you will listen along with me! You can find the podcast on iTunes here, and on Soundcloud here (also embedded below).
In this first episode I welcomed Mandi Lunan of Auntie Loo's Treats! Listen in as we talk about beer, vegan cheese, family dinners, the big orange bowl, Italy, Vermont, and The Manx, among other things.
The music featured in this episode is from April Smallwood, a talented singer/songwriter who hails from Sydney, Australia. (Scroll to the end of this post for more music from April).
So, pull up a chair at the table and join me. Grab a drink and a favourite snack -- eat, drink and connect along with me and my first guest.
To harvest means “to collect” or “gather” and there is nothing I love more than gathering great food and drink and even better people around a table. It is in these moments that we eat, drink, … and connect. So, that image of sitting around a table enjoying good food and drink and great conversation? That’s what I hope this podcast will be.
Each episode I will invite a guest or two to my table to enjoy, and talk about, delicious food and drink -- as well as travel, childhood memories, and...life in general. Each episode will also feature a band or musician, and I plan to focus on independent artists. I will also ask each of my guests my "trademark" After the Harvest Question: If they could have a dream dinner with 5 people, who would their guests be, where would the dinner take place (location and setting), and what would they be eating and drinking? Scroll down to see who Mandi's dinner guests would be!
After each episode is launched, I will be providing "show notes" -- links to some of the people, places, food and drink my guest and I mention in the episode. See below for the show notes from this episode, and you can also enjoy some personal photos from Mandi herself in this post!
Mandi Lunan, Owner of Auntie Loo's Treats
Mandi as a child, enjoying some good family times
at the dinner table. Look at those bangs and that smile!
P.S. Who else had a dress like that? Total flashback.
Mandi Loo and the big orange bowl!
Show Notes: Episode 1
- "Mandi Lunan: Self Starter" -- Article in Herd Magazine by yours truly (scroll to page 8)
- Beyond the Pale Brewery: The beers we talked about were The Darkness and Pink Fuzz
- The Manx
- Cafe My House - the cheeses we enjoyed were: herbed boursin, aged spicy cheddar, smoky peppered provolone, and apricot chardonnay stilton.
- Hintonburg -- an awesome neighbourhood in Ottawa :)
- Luna and Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss
- Isa Chandra: Post Punk Kitchen
- the hamburger cake for my sister Wendy's birthday - with Mom's brown sugar icing
- Blowing out the candles on my birthday cake -- age 4 -- with Mom's brown sugar icing
- Miss Lily's Cafe, Chelsea, NYC -- jerk corn on the cob
- The Khyber Pass Pub, Philadelphia, PA -- vegan po' boys
- Kismet - Mont Pellier, VT
- Three Penny Tap Room -- Mont Pellier, VT
- Fiddlehead Brewing Company and Folino's Wood Fired Pizza -- Shelburne, VT -- side by side pizza and beer :)
- Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown Myanmar episode
- Tenuta Savorgnano, Tuscany, Italy -- bed and breakfast
- Mandi Loo's After the Harvest table guests -- Gloria Steinem, John Waters, Divine, RuPaul, and Kathleen Hanna
- Dream Concert: Opener -- The Cramps, Headliner -- Billy Childish
- Favourite cocktail: Hendrick's gin and cucumber cocktail from Oz Kafe
- Favourite movie -- All About Eve
- Favourite T.V. show -- Freaks and Geeks
- Favourite book -- Living My Life by Emma Goldman
- Favourite actor -- Gary Oldman
- Favourite actress -- Bette Davis