Thursday, March 19, 2015

Podcast Recipes: Mandi Loo's Pear and Parsnip Soup



Hello friends! Did you listen to the podcast yet? If not you can do so on iTunes by clicking here or you can listen on Soundcloud below. Mandi was such a fun first guest!


Although I've only just begun, this process is so fun! After each podcast episode, I will be asking each of my guests for a recipe to share with all of you! I will be making and blogging about each recipe, and I encourage you to join me in trying them yourself. Make them "by the book" or put your own spin on them, and please share your photos and experiences with me on Facebook and Instagram! 

Mandi Loo's Pear and Parsnip Soup

Ingredients: 
  • 1 pound Vidalia or other sweet onions (1 large or 2 small), peeled and thinly sliced into strips 
  • 4 tablespoons organic pumpkin seed or sunflower seed oil, or butter 
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt 
  • Pinch ground white pepper 
  • Pinch ground ginger 
  • 3 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes 
  • 2 pounds Bartlett or bosc pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced 
  • 3 litres cold water 
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 
  • Salt to taste 


Method: 

In a large soup pot, heat oil or butter over medium-low heat, add sliced onions, salt, pepper and ginger, and sweat onions gently until soft and transparent. Add chopped parsnips and pears and continue to sweat gently over medium-low heat until parsnips and pears have started to soften. You can add butter and oil at this point if you want a richer, creamier soup. Stir frequently to prevent browning. 


Add the water and increase heat, stirring occasionally until the liquid reaches a boil. Immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer until parsnips are very tender (about 20 to 30 minutes). Remove from heat and puree in a blender (do not fill blender more than halfway, cover with a dry tea towel, hold down lid and start at low speed), food processor or with an immersion stick blender. For the best texture, pass the puree through a fine sieve. Return to a clean pot, adjust thickness as desired with water. Heat to the boiling point, add cider vinegar, and season to taste with kosher or sea salt.


Ta da! The finished product is above! This made a good amount of soup for one person so I froze some and I plan to give some away to my parents. As you can see I had a kitchen helper who was patiently hoping for me to drop a tasty morsel, but he was not so lucky. When this soup is blended and served, it is a pure, creamy, white colour. I decided to slice some pears and sprinkle in some raw pumpkin seeds as a garnish. I enjoyed this soup -- I am not a big fan of parsnips, but the pears sweeten the soup and the result is a much more mellow taste. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment