Wednesday, July 3, 2013

CSA Basket Meals: Garlic Scape, Basil, Green Onion and Arugula Pesto!


Let me tell you, it is slightly challenging to make pesto in a run-of-the-mill standard blender. Having said that, I, like many food bloggers and food enthusiasts right now, am obsessed with using the seasonal bounty of local farms to make tasty treats. One such trend in this farm to table gastronomy, is the beauty that is: the pesto. Once you break out of the basil-only box, ideas for different pestos can almost drive you mad (in a good way), but this time I knew I at least wanted to stick with a green pesto.

Thanks to the yummy goodies from my Notre Petite Ferme CSA basket, I was able to make this beautiful, organic pesto that has quite a zip to it and is highly addictive when paired with crusty bread.

Garlic Scape, Basil, Green Onion & Arugula Pesto

I made a small batch due to the quantity of scapes I had on hand, so I will leave amounts out, but trust me, just eyeball it. Add in slightly less pine nuts than greens, and add olive oil as you go when emulsifying. 

  • garlic scapes, chopped
  • arugula
  • basil leaves
  • green onions, chopped
  • pine nuts
  • olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • food processor (or blender if you are ill-equipped like me!)

Start by pulsing all of the greens and the nuts until they are finely chopped and almost paste-like. Then add the olive oil slowly, bit by bit until it is beautifully emulsified. Let the pesto sit at room temperature for a few minutes and then spread it on some crusty bread and enjoy! I'm tomato-obsessed so I had to add a few of those too. Enjoy! 

P.S. Pesto freezes well and also keeps in the fridge for a while :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment