Monday, September 5, 2011

Update on Cultivate: A Mini Film Fest!




Hello Everyone!

Wow, what a long, strange trip it's been! I hope you've all had a great summer filled with fabulous food and drink, and amazing people and experiences! I've been a bit absent from After the Harvest in the last month because I went on an amazing, phenomenal, life-changing trip to the magical island of Kauai, but I'm back now and ready to get back to all things After the Harvest. (Hawaii-inspired posts to come!)

I just wanted to say a few things about my upcoming film screening at the Mayfair Theatre.

IS THIS EVENT FOR KIDS?

First of all, I've recently been asked if this event is suitable for children. In a nutshell, the answer is YES. Having said that, I recommend these films for children ages 7+, (based on my analysis of my 7 year old nieces and their ability to understand food issues), but the event and the films are not specifically for children.

Basically what I'm saying is, I would love to see parents bringing their children to this event to start putting food issues on their radar; however some younger children may not grasp the content, and more importantly, may not want to sit still in a theatre for a few hours!

So, if you are worrying about paying a babysitter and you think your child is old enough to understand food-related topics and wouldn't mind sitting in a theatre for a little while, please bring them! The best part is, kids can attend for free!

I hope that clears things up. The films I'll be screening are really more for adults, but I would love to see the younger generation receiving education and getting inspired about food-related issues in our world.

SILENT AUCTION

I am so excited about the silent auction and grateful for all of the donors! (I even have a draw prize!) I have been able to amass a group of items that range in price so they're accessible, but some may also fetch a nice amount in support of Heifer International!

I must mention that the silent auction is going to have to be CASH ONLY. Because After the Harvest is not an official non-profit organization or business, I don't have a budget per se, therefore I don't have debit and credit capabilities.

Thank you to everyone who has been involved in the planning of this event thus far! I really look forward to seeing you all on the 24th for some food, films and fundraising!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment