Saturday, July 30, 2011

Summer Flavours



My parents and I both have upcoming travel plans so we decided to get together for a "Bon Voyage Dinner". I decided to pick up a little bubbly to toast our travels, so I opted for Barefoot's Pinot Grigio sparkling. Almost in spite of their affordability, Barefoot wines are actually good! I often go for the Merlot -- it's great with a cheese plate.



After snacking on veggies and a homemade yogurt dip (garlic, fresh thyme, lemon juice), we headed out to the patio for dinner.

I must confess, I ripped this recipe from the pages of Bon Appetit magazine -- it was in a recent feature on Gwyneth Paltrow. Taking a few liberties from Gwynnie's recipe, I pan fried some cod and topped it with a mango, avocado and grape tomato salsa. A little squeeze of lime and we felt like we were already in more tropical climes.



To accompany our fish dish, I opted for the increasingly popular watermelon salad. Diced watermelon, cucumber, grape tomatoes, feta, basil, balsamic, olive oil and lime juice made up this summery salad.



To wash it all down I decided on another budget-friendly yet appropriate wine: the Gazela Vinho Verde from Portugal. A light white with a bit of effervescence, it is the perfect wine to accompany a fresh seafood dish.

.....................................................................................

Stay tuned for features on my generous event sponsors for Cultivate: A Mini Film Fest, and more information leading up to the event!

Click HERE for event info and to RSVP :)

No comments:

Post a Comment