Monday, July 18, 2011

Forks Over Knives: The Workshop @ Credible Edibles







Having recently seen the film, Forks Over Knives, I was re-inspired to eat even more of a plant-based diet. When I heard that Judi Varga-Toth of Credible Edibles was holding a Forks Over Knives Workshop, I signed up immediately! I had never been to Credible Edibles before and I couldn't believe it took me this long to get there. Once I arrived with my apron and take-home container in hand, I was warmly welcomed by Judi and quickly introduced to the other participants. As soon as I saw the Michael Pollan quote painted above the counter, I knew I'd like this place.







Judi is no stranger to a healthy diet or an environmentally sound way of eating. As the bio on Credible Edibles' website states,"Judi's passion has been to make a difference in everything she does. Her research led her to the profound discovery that the very same things that support good health in people also supports a healthy environment."

After introducing ourselves and learning the basics of eating a more plant-based diet, we kickstarted our palates with some Tex-Mex Chili Bites: kidney beans, homemade salsa and soy cheese in a baked whole wheat tortilla wrap. They were quite tasty!



After snacking on the chili bites, some homemade hummus and veggies and other snacks, we got started in the kitchen. The small group of us donned our aprons and got to work (play) making 5 recipes that we would later enjoy in their pure vegan deliciousness. We made:

Italian Pasta Salad with Baked Tofu and Beans









Quinoa Salad with Edamame and Dried Cranberries



Creamy Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup





Chocolate Coffee Cake



and

Cosmic Cookies





I also learned about some tasty snacks and seasonings such as seaweed and gomashio:











Amid conversations about Bulk Barn treasures, protein sources, Daiya cheese, disease prevention and chocolate for breakfast, we ate our hearty, delicious meal and left with full bellies, open minds and new contacts.

Judi provided us with all of the recipes from the workshop, as well as a list of links and other resources to look up. She also handed out an "Essential Pantry List" that I am finding to be extremely helpful, although I was encouraged to notice that I already had many of these food items in stock.

So, I'm on my way, and perhaps a few more visits to Credible Edibles will further enhance my vegetarian and vegan repetoire of recipes. To find out more yourself, keep up with Credible Edibles on Twitter @creded or "Like" Credible Edibles on Facebook and stay tuned for future Forks Over Knives Workshops. You'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting.. how did they use the seaweed? We have a lot here at home of a few different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She used some of it in her gomashio mix, and the other she sauteed/fried up in a pan with canola oil, to create a sort of "seaweed bacon". It was extremely tasty! Kinda reminded me of kale chips in a way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried the "bacon" yet. There was a woman on PEI who was selling seaweed flaked to use as you would herbs to season dishes.

    ReplyDelete