Thursday, March 24, 2011

Books, Strawberries and Goat Cheese

Even when I'm trying to read something different, to take a break from my constant consumption of all things food and drink, it seems to find me anyway. Take this book, for example:



Joyce Maynard's The Good Daughters was given to me by my mother this past Christmas. I don't usually read a lot of fiction, maybe because I devoured it in university, maybe because I've always been drawn to non-fiction. Either way, recently I cracked open this literary gift and started reading. First of all, there is a picture of a girl holding a basket of strawberries on the front cover. You would think this would tip me off. Instead, I thought, "it's just a picture, this book has nothing to do with food".

I was wrong. Yes, the book is about life, love, relationships, family, hopes, dreams and nightmares; but it is also about food. Glorious food. Strawberries and goat cheese (among other references) to be exact.

I won't steal Joyce Maynard's thunder and reveal any more, but I do recommend you pick up this book. Perhaps more suited to females, in its essence it is a well-crafted story full of emotion and life lessons. Food ties our stories together, whether it's a main character or a background element. Joyce Maynard seems to weave it through her story with ease.

Thank you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment