Monday, January 17, 2011

What I'm Reading: The Kind Diet


Photo Credit: Food-Fitness-FreshAir

I recently purchased Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet. Alicia also has a blog called The Kind Life and she is spreading her message that a plant-based diet is the way to go. Whether or not you intend to go vegan, I think this book's message and recipes are amazing and I can't wait to start implementing them into my lifestyle! I look forward to trying some of the recipes and sharing them with you! But why not hear it from Alicia herself? (caution: partial nudity!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your say on her recipes. I saw her on Oprah a while back and at first, I was pleasantly surprised. But then, even though she was invited on the same show as Michael Pollan and that their message were similar, they were in fact quite opposite, I think.

    In the first bit, Pollan was saying: less meat, more fruit/vegetables, no processed foods, etc. Then in the 2nd bit, we see Alicia, full vegan, in a grocery store, showing Oprah's viewers they can have anything vegan now... But her vegan ice treats and her vegan chow mein had so much processed elements in it... I wonder if she realizes that. Oh well. Her recipes with "real" ingredients might be good. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Melodie! I felt the same way after watching that episode. I struggle with the choice between bottled local cow's milk and almond milk in a tetrapak...which is a better choice? That is just an example. I have heard you can make your own almond milk, so perhaps that is a good vegan solution to that question. I definitely look forward to trying her "real food" recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh eh, I thought I was the only one watching that show ;-) Yes, good point. Reminds me of the debate around organic fruit and veg: should we buy organic apples from California ou non-organic local Québec apples...

    ReplyDelete