Monday, December 6, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Coconut Chicken and Rice



What did you have for dinner last night? Sunday night is a great one for cooking, and I've decided to start sharing some Sunday dinner recipes with you!

I have never claimed to be an amazing cook, but I try my best to combine my food knowledge and experimental cooking style to create tasty dishes. So, without further ado, please enjoy my recipe for Coconut Chicken and Rice, served with spinach and cilantro salad and a crisp white wine. This recipe is for two, but you can also bring the leftovers to work the next day, and you'll definitely have a good amount of rice left over!



Ingredients:

  • 2 Chicken Breasts
    (I used Free From PC Chicken, which claims to be free of hormones and antibiotics)
  • 1 heaping teaspoon Coconut Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 cup Jasmine Rice
  • 1 can Coconut Milk
  • 1 cup Water
  • Baby Spinach
  • Red and Yellow Peppers
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Cilantro
  • Raw Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • Olive Oil and White Wine Vinegar Dressing
  • Megalomaniac Homegrown Riesling

Directions:

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear it on both sides in a pan with coconut oil until it's golden brown. Finish it in the oven, or continue frying it in a pan, it's up to you.

Heat the coconut milk and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice and reduce to a simmer. Cook until fluffy. Mine turned out a bit mushy, but hey -- it happens!

Top with a garnish of cilantro and serve with a spinach salad, also topped with cilantro. There can never be enough cilantro!!! But seriously though, the cilantro adds a bit of brightness in an otherwise one-note dish that screams coconut. Obviously you can put your favourite ingredients in the salad, no need to follow my rules!



Comforting, creamy and coconutty, this chicken dish goes really well with a crisp white wine like Megalomaniac Homegrown Riesling.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm this sounds deelish. I will make this recipe. I have a husband that doesn't like cilantro though...so I'll add his portion to mine! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks delicious, Heather!
    What a great idea to share recipes! You know how I love it though! :)
    My Sunday dinner was super simple pastas, but notheless delicious!

    When I feel like to make quick, I slightly brown a bunch of sliced leftover veggies (like red onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, Kale, garlic), in which I add a jar of organic tomato sauce from the store and some spices and herbs.
    On penne pastas, topped with Parmesan cheese, accompanied with a garlic bread slice and a glass of red wine. There you go! A half hour later, you are relaxing and enjoying your meal!

    Cheers and thank you, Heather! I'll definitely try your recipe! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura -- my second garnish choice would be finely sliced mango...does he like mango? Just another option.
    Marie-Eve -- sounds delicious! Pasta dishes are definitely a go-to dinner for me as well!

    ReplyDelete