Monday, October 25, 2010

Quick Taste: Big House Red



Wow, it's been a while since I shared a Quick Taste with you! This one stood out to me on the shelf, so I thought I'd give it a try. Sometimes I'm a sucker for wine labels.

Wine: Big House Red, 2008 California Red Wine, Big House Wine Co., 13.5% alcohol.

Description on Bottle: "Yo, the '08 Homes is a muscular but by no means inelegant, eclectic blend viz Syrah, Petite Sirah, Grenache, Montepulciano, Mourvedre, Sangiovese, Tannat, Aglianico, Nero d'Avola, Sagrantino and Barbera. It more than singing for its supper." (all "typos" were as written on the bottle.)

My opinion of the description: Ok....I have never heard of a blend of so many grapes in one wine. Is this normal???

Look: Dark cherry, ruby red, medium viscosity

Nose: caramel, vanilla, spice, cinnamon, plum, currants

Palate: bold, high alcohol, low tannins, in your face, succulent, intense, deep and strong tasting

Food Match: rich cheese, decadent dishes

Overall: This is a ridiculously strong, intense wine. If you love big, bold reds, it's for you. I would recommend drinking it with a really rich dish. Not for the subtle of palate.

4 comments:

  1. I've had it a couple of times lately and I really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure if the look of the bottle was purely marketing or if the product was good but I was pleasantly surprised. I have never seen so many different grapes in one wine either... But I like the result. I didn't find it too bold though. I found it easier to drink by itself than some big Spanish wines, for example.

    I think they have a white one too. I haven't tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this one at a California wine show here last year and it really stood out for me. Nice to see someone else was sucked in by that label.

    PS. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the risk of being annoying...just wanted to let you know you received an "award" - lol. http://themindfulmerchant.ca/2010/11/lovely-meanie/
    Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the furthest thing from annoying! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete