Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Heirloom Tomato Soup



It's tomato season! Tomatoes have always been one of my favourite foods dating back to the days when my 5-year old self enjoyed nothing more than a plate of spaghetti or one of Mom's toasted tomato sandwiches. Yesterday I got together with a friend for a long overdue gab session, and my contribution to the meal was soup, so I settled on heirloom tomatoes!

With no recipe in mind, I decided on the following ingredients for a fresh, summery soup, which could probably be served chilled as well:

Heirloom Tomato Soup
(makes 3 large portions/a blender-full)

  • roughly 8-10 heirloom tomatoes
  • one red pepper
  • one shallot
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • roughly 1/2 cup of chopped onion
  • fresh cilantro
  • salt and pepper

I started by cooking the garlic, onion and shallot in some olive oil. Then I added the red pepper and allowed them to cook until slightly softened. Next I added the tomatoes and seasoned with salt and pepper.





While this colourful mixture was simmering on the stove, I chopped up some fresh cilantro and put it in the blender.





Once it was ready I added everything to the blender and got to liquefying! There were a few close calls as the blender was quite full, but I made it out alive!





The result was a tasty, juicy soup that went perfectly with the warm veggie salad my friend prepared. We sopped up the remains of the soup with some lovely rock salt bread from Harvest Loaf Bakery.





What's fun about this soup is it's colour possibilities -- I used quite a few yellow tomatoes so it resulted in a lovely orange hue, however depending on the varieties you use, it could be red, yellow or orange! If Mr. Cilantro hasn't won you over yet, you could always use basil instead.
This soup is also a great choice if you're making food for your vegan or vegetarian friends!

What are you making with your tomatoes these days? Did you grow any tomatoes yourself this summer? Please share in the comments below :)

11 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I'm growing a bunch of different tomatoes, some heirloom, some not, and of course, they are all ready at the same time. Your recipe will be a welcomed addition to my short list:

    1)Bruschetta
    2)pasta with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil
    3)Jamie Oliver's tomatoe salad from Jamie at Home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask if you seeded the tomatoes before cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I didn't seed them...I thought about it too late and realized I could have saved them to plant my own, but I don't get any sun on my patio so I'm not sure if they would succeed! Is that why you were asking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good list, Melodie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I've never been successful, growing a tomato plant from re-claimed tomato seed. Then again, I'm a VERY poor gardener.

    I ask because, the soup looks tasty. I want to attempt your recipe.

    When I looked at the cut tomatoes, the seeds and gel between the flesh seemed to have been removed.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Nope, the seeds/gel are still in there! I have seen some cooks remove the seeds for certain recipes but I never understood why -- that speaks to my own culinary limitations I guess ;) I'm all about using every bit of the fruit/veg with as little waste as possible! The more rustic the better. Let me know how your soup turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Heather and Don: the craziest thing happened this summer with some of my tomatoe plants. I had planted tomatoes last year and sometimes, over the summer, tomatoes would fall in the garden or would be half eaten by animals and I just left them there to compost. Well, this year, plants grew out of some of those fallen tomatoes. I didn't have to do anything. It's great, but just weird because they kinda grew in the middle of beets, potatoes and carrots. That was the easiest gardening ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melodie! That is amazing! The earth is really an amazing thing, what it can do naturally!! It reminds me of my friends' permaculture adventures -- check them out at www.superforest.org if you're interested! search "zero one"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice site! I'll definitely put it in my rss feed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum-yummy! I will definitely have to try your recipe, Heather! Thanks for sharing all those beautiful and colorful recipes!

    ReplyDelete