Saturday, June 26, 2010

Signature Drinks: Regular Joes and Restaurant Pros

Happy Saturday, everyone! Looking for a refreshing summer cocktail to sip tonight? Well look no further because I'm pleased to bring you the latest installment of Signature Drinks: Regular Joes and Restaurant Pros!

Meet Chef Michael Moffatt, a definite "Restaurant Pro" and the Executive Chef at Beckta Dining and Wine and Play Food and Wine here in Ottawa.



Through our email correspondence I got the sense that Chef Moffatt is a bit like his restaurants: a serious culinary professional, but with a sense of fun and a down to earth nature. He is a Chef that would not only wow you on the plate, but then sit down and have a cocktail with you and share a story. So, without further ado, let's pull up a chair and listen to Chef Mike tell us about his favourite summer cocktail:

"My favourite summer drink is a Vodka Gimlet. I use the classic preparation, but with 1/2 fresh lime juice and half Rose's lime cordial. The story is that when I worked in Banff years ago my diet was, shall we say, lacking balance? Pretty well the only thing I could guarantee I would consume every day was booze(it was Banff after all!) So, in a drunken stupor one night in conversation with a buddy, I decided it would be smart to start mixing citrus into my drinks so I didn't get scurvy -- remember I was pretty drunk when I was thinking about this! Anyway, I started buying limes and just adding sugar to the vodka. When in conversation with a bartender one night he told me about the Gimlet and basically told me I was making a half-assed version of it so I might as well try the real thing. I've been hooked ever since -- one for the taste, and two because it reminds me of my time in Banff --very nice partial memories!"


Photo Credit: Flickr user erikhagman

Vodka Gimlet (Banff-style!)

2oz Vodka(really good stuff or why bother???)
1oz Simple syrup
2oz Lime juice
2oz Lime cordial


Stir together..also easy to make in a bathtub quantity!

Sounds refreshing! I'm a huge lime lover myself so this is one I'm definitely going to try very soon. Listening to his stories of working in Banff brought back memories of my own when my own diet consisted largely of Carib beer, Smirnoff Ice and Rum Punch when I was part of a fun, international crew who worked on Toronto's best party boats. Ah, the memories of Roti, "cold tea" and summer fun...

Thanks to Chef Moffatt for sharing his recipe and story with After the Harvest!

I'm working on a new series idea, so this may be the last signature drink I'll be sharing for a while, but please feel free to go back through the series and make some of these tasty beverages at your parties and events this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment