Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Signature Drinks: Regular Joes and Restaurant Pros

In keeping with my signature drink series, I thought it was about time to share my own favourite summer cocktails! Although I've worked in the restaurant industry quite a bit, I'm pretty sure I qualify as a "Regular Joe".


Photo Credit: Flickr user teenage_precious

On a warm summer night out with girlfriends in the city, I almost always choose a Cosmopolitan. I know, it's so predictable! However, once a bartender made me a Cosmo using Grand Marnier instead of Triple Sec, and it made this standard girly drink that much more flavourful!


Photo Credit: Flickr user bsdubois00

Cosmopolitan:
Put ice cubes into a cocktail shaker, then add:
1 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
the juice from half a lime
a splash of cranberry juice

A cosmo should be pink (not red) so make sure it's only a splash of cranberry! The flavours blend so nicely and make for the perfect summer cocktail!


Photo Credit: Flickr user Speed-Light

When it's time to hit a patio, I highly suggest you try a "Diablo Margarita" made famous by the great people at Tortilla Flats, one of my favourite patio spots in Toronto. The recipe is simple: half Corona, (or Sol or Dos Equis), half margarita mix (although I suppose you could also use pure lime juice, it just wouldn't be as sweet!)


Photo Credit: Flickr user naughton321

When I was first offered this drink the combination didn't sound all that appealing to me, but once I had a sip on that sunny patio, my mind was changed! It's the perfect refreshing beverage for an afternoon on the patio with friends.

Next time you hit a patio or go out on the town this summer, why not try some of the tasty cocktails I've been featuring in this series! Up next: a talented mixologist and her signature cocktail! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment