Sunday, May 2, 2010

Michael Pollan on Time's Top 100 List



Author, Professor and Food Activist Michael Pollan was honoured by Time Magazine as one of it's 100 Most Influential People. To read the article, click here.

Like I've said many times before (perhaps too much), if you don't know of Michael Pollan or have not read any of his books, why not start now? He has a very articulate way of enlightening his readers about many food and plant-related topics and he's working hard to make a difference in the way people view their food today.

Because I signed up for his mailing list, I received an email informing me that he made this list, but what I really enjoyed was the humility that Pollan exhibited in his mass email, highlighting others who are also fighting for food issues; not just promoting himself:

"What I think is particularly significant is how many people associated with the food movement Time Magazine chose to include in its "100 Most Influential People" issue. Besides me, you'll find Will Allen, the visionary urban farmer from Milwaukee, Kathleen Merrigan, the deputy USDA secretary who wrote the original federal organic legislation, and Temple Grandin, the animal welfare advocate. This recognition is a clear indication that the food movement is moving into the mainstream. Congratulations to everyone! Michael"

I'm so glad to see people like this recognized on this list. My next Pollan adventure will be finally getting around to reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, although considering I'm one of those people with 4 books on her nightstand which I jump back and forth between, it could be a while before I share my thoughts on that book...

1 comment: