Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What I'm Going to be Reading...



Hello everyone! Usually I run a segment called What I'm Reading, in which I share my passion and analysis of a food-related book. Well, this time I have not actually read the book yet, but I intend to and when I do I will definitely share my views on the subject. The book I intend to read is: Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. Like I've said before, I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I do care about what I put into my body, and I enjoy learning about food from all angles. From what I have read about this book so far, it is not a book designed to turn everyone vegan, although it does support a vegetarian or vegan approach to eating, if that is a lifestyle someone wishes to choose. From my perspective, it seems the author wrote this book in order to open a discussion and to open our eyes to how some animals are being treated before they end up on our dinner table. Whether or not you eat meat, I think we would all agree that treating animals poorly is not something that any of us supports. So I look forward to delving into this book -- I hope I can find it at my local library! Stay tuned to learn more about this book -- hey, why don't you read it along with me?

7 comments:

  1. I have noticed it on the shelves too...but read and reread the the back cover each time I am in a bookstore...and always end up grabbing something involving a lil Pig...haha.
    I just read Food Rules...enjoyed it...yet the only thing that really sticks with me is always shop the perimeter of a supermarket...never the centre aisles.
    Maybe next time Ill avoid the Pig and stick to the Grass!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few months ago someone sent me an article adapted from the book. I quite enjoyed it, mostly because he's very non-militaristic about the whole debate, but also because he's a good writer.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11foer-t.html?_r=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! Your sister led me to your blog. :)
    This book is amazing. I read it because am I am vegetarian and recently questioning how good eating dairy is for animals and the planet. I had not considered that it could be harmful before, aside from delicious fatty cheese adding to my waistline ;). Also, I loved J.S. Foer's novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, he is a very clever and engaging writer. I hope you find Eating Animals inspirational. Another suggestion: The Kind Diet, which is part educational and part cookbook. I hope you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally got the book from the library! Started it last night -- so far so good! Looking forward to sharing my thoughts :) Thanks everyone for participating in this discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I just bought the book (the waiting list at the library was SO LONG!!!!), and have started reading. I'm looking forward to discussing the book with you over skype (or possibly in person???) in the very near future!!!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline! Totally, yes let me know when you finish it and we can discuss! I just finished it and will be posting my thoughts this week!

    ReplyDelete