Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Beautiful Mess: Jason Mraz's Chocomole Recipe



For some of you, Jason Mraz is just that guy with the hat that sings the happy little hippie song. Well let me tell you, from where I sit, he's a man of many talents. His music is great, his dance moves funky and his voice sublime...but is his chocolate pudding tasty?

I set out to discover if Jason Mraz's chocomole recipe could tempt my tastebuds. Known not just for his musical talents but also for his passion for surfing, raw food lifestyle and avocado farm, Jason shares many aspects of his life through his blog, Freshness Factor Five Thousand. It was through reading his blog that I, along with countless others, discovered his recipe for chocomole, which is basically a raw foodist's chocolate pudding made largely from avocados.

Mraz makes a point of promoting conscious food choices, focusing on whole foods and a raw food approach to nutrition. Judging by his apparent energy and healthy mindset, I think this raw food thing is working for him. Did I mention he is also a pretty talented writer and the man sings opera? I'm telling you, the renaissance man is the thing these days. In order to be a renaissance man or woman, you definitely need to know how to cook, or prepare raw food, in this case. You can see Jason's original post on chocomole here, but I'll give you a quick rundown:

Ingredients

  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 20 dates
  • 2 tbsp. raw cacao
  • 2 tbsp. or so Agave nectar
  • 1 tbsp. coconut oil
  • splash of vanilla extract



I followed Jason's directions and halved the avocados, saving the shells for a unique serving dish:



I then mushed up the avocados as much as I could:



The next step was adding all of the other ingredients:



After a lot of mixing and literally pulverising the dates, I had my finished chocomole! I chose to garnish my completed dessert with a playful almond, in place of the avocado pit -- so clever, I know ;)



Although I may seem biased, I cannot lie -- the chocomole was delicious!! A perfect blend of chocolate, coconut and dates! It was rich and heavenly, and I am sure with a lot of heavy mixing you could fool anyone into thinking this chocolate pudding involved sugar and eggs. Also, this dessert provided added value, actually giving me a "chocolate energy high" -- not just a sugar high where I crashed shortly after -- I actually had so much energy I had trouble drifting off to dreamland.

If you want to know more about Jason's views on healthy eating, you can check out this portion of an interview that was conducted by my pal Chris, on a little site we both belong to called Superforest.

So, I leave you with chocolate envy, and a little glimpse of Jason's unbelievable live DVD: A Beautiful Mess Live on Earth. Happy eating, everyone!



*photo of Jason respectfully borrowed from Bill Silva Entertainment

2 comments:

  1. Looks divine. I am no longer weary of using avocados in desserts, I just made a chocolate cake with avocado in it via Joy the Baker.

    Although, I couldn't become vegan, I do like to try out some recipes. Will be trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Never heard of chocomole or Jason Mraz before. Thanks for the info, I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete