Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Make Jamie's Wish a Reality



Recently Jamie Oliver gave his prize winning TED Talk, in which he shared his wish:

"I wish for your help to create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity."

For those of you not familiar with TED, don't waste another second and please go to their website! TED talks are a new wave of education and enlightenment through one of the oldest methods: speech. Their slogan is: "Ideas Worth Spreading". Next time you find yourself surfing channels on the TV, turn it off and turn on TED.

Back to Jamie Oliver, the loveably self-depricating English chap who truly cares about food, and the impact it has on our lives. In his speech, Jamie said:

"I profoundly believe that the power of food has a primal place in our homes that binds us to the best bits of life."

That quote has stuck with me because it embodies everything I've been trying to say in many ways through After the Harvest, although I haven't been able to word it so well and with so much power. Food connects us all, and in a lot of ways, we truly are what we eat. I have such respect for Jamie and his message.

Chef Jamie then goes on to talk about kids and their disconnection from food, so much so that they cannot even identify common fruits and vegetables. "If the kids don't know what stuff is, then they will never eat it", he says, and I agree that food education does need to be a part of our school systems. This is an aspect of Jamie's wish that I'd like to help with, and I'm formulating ideas as you read this! I'll keep you posted on my progress in the future.

As he goes on to declare his wish, Jamie admits he recently thought to himself, "If I had a magic wand, what would I do?", and shortly after this question was posed, TED came calling. Now that's an example of someone asking God, The Universe, whoever/whatever he or she believes in for what he/she truly wants, and being rewarded. His wish will require a community of people all over the world to come together to make it a reality, but I believe we can do it. Jamie said himself, "every one of your individual efforts makes a difference", and I truly believe that statement, whether we're talking about a food revolution, or some other sort of social change in the world. Composting, recycling, Haiti relief efforts. Name your cause, when individuals have worked together with that cause in mind, change has been made and continues to be made.

Before I go off on an even larger tangent, I will let you take in Jamie's TED Talk yourself. Enjoy it, and answer this question: If you had a magic wand, what would YOU do?

1 comment:

  1. awesome Heath. just got 'round to watching Jamie's talk now...so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete