Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Brunch at Fraser Cafe



Sunday. A great day for sleeping in, watching movies, doing the laundry or hitting a coffee shop. Also a great day for brunch. I met up with an old family friend today at Fraser Cafe. I'd heard some buzz about the chefs there (the brothers Fraser-- Simon and Ross) and the idea of brunching at a restaurant committed to seasonal cuisine is always a good one in my opinion. After sipping some peppermint tea, I decided on the eggs benedict.



I was pleasantly surprised to receive what I considered to be a generous portion of food for the price. So often I find the price reflects the quality of the ingredients, but sometimes the quantity suffers. This time quality met quantity. The addition of a salad with a lovely dressing was a refreshing surprise, given that I did choose one of the more decadent brunch dishes.



My friend chose the cheeseburger which was chock full of goodies including bacon and grainy mustard, and I heard only favourable reviews from her side of the table. After we were finished with our gluttony, we made the daring choice of ordering dessert, hoping and praying our stomachs could make room for some sweet treats. We couldn't resist the idea of homemade donuts and I had to order a coffee to complete the traditional pairing of coffee and donuts that we've all come to know and love, especially here in Canada -- don't deny it, you know the stereotype is true! Served with vanilla ice cream, these donuts were the perfect way to complete our brunch. What's a good brunch without comfort food, after all?



Fraser Cafe was a cute place to brunch with friendly service, fresh and kitschy design and great food. We got a kick out of the wine list, which was clothed in a retro microwave cookbook; and the billfold, presented in the form of a seed packet.





The only thing cuter than that was the food-related graffiti in the bathroom, artfully drawn directly onto the tiles with a Sharpie, I presume. Unique and cozy in a neighbourhood kind of way, Fraser Cafe definitely makes my list of favourites so far in my new city. I'll definitely be back, maybe next time for dinner so I can watch the Fraser brothers in in action. Happy Sunday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I really like your blog, very appetizing, in more ways than one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks hearty. I've heard other good things about that place but haven't tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love the Fraser Cafe, especially their new, bigger digs.

    ReplyDelete