Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mediterranean Chicken Linguine



Have you looked outside recently? Many areas of North America have been experiencing extremely cold temperatures and copious amounts of snow. You know what that means: It's comfort food time! In lieu of actually visiting the Mediterranean, I thought I'd bring a taste to you. So from my kitchen to yours: Mediterranean Chicken Linguine.

This dish has been with me for a while now, and although it's not rocket science, it is an easy dish to prepare that definitely allows for substitutions. I usually make a large amount so I can have leftovers the next day, and sometimes even the next night as well. Second day pasta isn't ideal, but it is very helpful on a busy day and tastes just as good cold as a pasta salad.



I start by sweating some onions and garlic in olive oil. I then add the chicken and allow it to brown before adding in the rest of the ingredients. You can use any vegetable that you deem "Mediterranean", but this time I went with what I had on hand:

  • mushrooms
  • zucchini
  • tomatoes
  • spinach
  • Kalamata olives

Ideally I love using roma tomatoes as well as sundried tomatoes and green olives, but like I said, it is still tasty with a different mix of ingredients. Throw in a pat or two of butter for a richer taste, and a splash of white wine.
Cook until the firmest veggies are semi-soft and the spinach is wilted (add it last).



Then add the linguine and toss. You can also add artichokes, prosciutto, peppers or different varieties of mushrooms -- the list is endless. So tuck that napkin into your shirt and mangia! This would go well with a Pinot Grigio.

No comments:

Post a Comment