Monday, November 9, 2009

Ottawa Wine and Food Show

So, I've finally moved into my place in the city, and as a result I've been a bit absent from After the Harvest. However, I have many more posts to come, so stay tuned! I am sad to report that my camera recently went missing, so I won't be able to share with you the photos I took at the Ottawa Wine and Food Show on Saturday, but I can assure you, it was a very fun event! When I arrived, I had a chance to sample a tasty ice cider named Neige before heading up to the Tasting Alley. There were many wines to try and lots of new contacts to make, and the cheese plate was very tasty! I was lucky enough to catch up with Sommelier Andrew Laliberte of Fifth Town Artisan Cheese and he told me about some exciting things they have going on in the County. Turns out the Dairy Farmers of Ontario have commissioned Fifth Town to make a cow's milk cheese in the vein of Epoisses de Bourgogne. This will be the first time that a regional product will be featured, with both the cheese and wine both hailing from the County! This was exciting to hear and got my hopes up for the day that certain regions in Canada will be just as famous for their food and drink as those in France! We have some amazing local food and drink, and the Wine & Food Show did not disappoint in showcasing that fact. If I had more time to devote to this 3-day event, I might have a more comprehensive post to share, and same goes for the lack of photos due to my awol camera. But a few special "shout-outs" go to some fabulous folks I enjoyed connecting with at the show: Natalie MacLean, Rod Phillips, Andrew Laliberte, Craig Windrim from Wine Access Magazine, the boys from Lifford and Steve Beauschene of Beau's. It was inspiring and fun to meet and talk with so many people who were at the event showing their passion for food and wine, and I look forward to next year's event!

No comments:

Post a Comment