Friday, November 20, 2009

Chicken Soup for your Cold

If you're like me and you're suffering from a cold or flu right now, I am sure you are getting all kinds of suggestions from countless people who each have their "no fail" remedy. I must admit, I am one of those people who recommends cold remedies, but hey -- we're all just trying to help each other heal, right? Over the past few days I've been loading up on Moroccan Mint tea, oranges, hot water with fresh ginger, lemon and honey, and of course, chicken soup. I decided to take a friend's advice and make my own from scratch, and I am so glad I did! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and has proven to be very comforting and hydrating.

Using the little bit of chicken I had in the freezer, I got to work:



First, I rough chopped onions, carrots and celery and put them in a stock pot with a couple of bay leaves. I used half of the veggies and chopped them up to be added to the soup later on.




I added the garlic, and a few shallots as well. I love shallots! I then added the chicken, water, salt and pepper and some chicken stock. Since I was working with boneless, skinless thighs, I figured stock would add some extra flavour.



Once the chicken was cooked, I removed it from the pot and cut it up into bite-sized pieces. With the veggies, I got out my trusty blender and pulsed until they were mashed to perfection. (What a great way to disguise extra veggies in a soup if you're making it for kids!)I added everything back to the broth and added my own little touch of mushrooms and zucchini.



One cup of wild and brown rice later, and the soup was ready to simmer. An extra hit of salt and pepper and the lid went on, and I waited.




A few hours later and my soup was ready -- too bad it was bedtime! I skimmed the fat and put it in the fridge overnight, ready for the next day's lunch.

I don't know if it was the placebo effect, or the copious amounts of garlic, but the soup definitely made me feel better, and it was tasty too!



You can see the original recipe and a delightful cooking demo by my buddy Jackson from Superforest.
Special thanks to Jackson who made these photos possible with his generosity!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Heather,
    I've been following your blog for a while and thought I would comment on how terrific it is.
    Your creative and yummy ideas are an inspiration to even a cooking rookie like me.
    Thanks again and keep it coming!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg!! It is great to hear your feedback!

    ReplyDelete