Saturday, October 10, 2009

Quick Taste: Montgo Monastrell/Shiraz Blend



Wine: Montgo Monastrell/Shiraz Blend, 70% Monastrell, 30% Shiraz -- (2004)--14.5% alcohol -- $14.95 -- Yecla, Spain. (LCBO Vintages)

Look: ruby red, clear, bright, mildly translucent, medium viscosity, quick legs

Nose: VERY closed at first...took me a while to get any kind of subtle aroma. Perhaps should have been decanted...eventually I got red berries, plum, currant, a bit of an herbal quality

Palate: medium-bodied, high alcohol, a bit weak, short finish

Overall: I was pretty disappointed with this wine. I thought it would be a full-bodied, spicy, plummy red that would highlight the Fellowship Cheese I ate it with. It underperformed for sure, it was quite weak and a bit watery. Alcohol was too high and that was all I really got from this wine.

Pairing: The Fellowship, however was an entirely different story! A goat/sheep milk cheese from Fifth Town Artisan Cheese in Prince Edward County, this brushed rind cheese was rich, luscious, nutty and had a nice graininess in the mouth. It didn't last long on the cute little cheese plate my parents picked up in Costa Rica.

Sidenote: I visited Fifth Town over a year ago and had a fantastic wine and cheese tasting session with their Sommelier, Andrew Laliberte. I picked up this cheese at Il Negozio Nicastro on Wellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment