Wednesday, October 21, 2009

An Evening at Crush Wine Bar

My second night in Toronto the family and I headed to Crush Wine Bar. I had never been while I lived in Toronto, so now seemed as good a time as any. Inside the design was modern and sleek, and the bar looked like a great place to sip a glass of wine after work for the King Street crowd. Our table was in the middle of the room, and as you looked to the back, the wall separating the kitchen from the dining room was translucent, so you could still see the chefs hard at work, but it was behind the scenes as well. Very interesting design indeed.

I started by ordering a flight of white wines which they called "White Oddities". This included a German blend, an Italian varietal and a Californian Viognier. Usually I am partial to Viognier, but I really enjoyed the toasty, light and refreshing taste of the German wine, which was a blend of Weiss Burgunder, Muller-Thurgau and Silvaner.



My first course was a butternut squash soup with creme fraiche foam. It was quite nice but nothing monumental.



Following the soup, I chose the seared tuna with Thai green curry sauce. I hoped that it was a tuna that is sustainable, as I had left my SeaChoice card at home. Lesson for next time to always bring it along! The tuna was rich and light at the same time, and paired perfectly with the curry sauce. Visually stunning, this was also a very delicious choice and went nicely with the Sauvignon Blanc my server recommended (unfortunately I did not get the name of this wine).



To end the meal, I chose the vanilla panna cotta with wild Ontario blueberry compote. It did not disappoint, with the beautiful blueberries complimenting the creamy panna cotta.



In the end it was a fun night had by all, and pleasing to the palate. I would go back to Crush, this time I might sidle up to the bar and try the Red Oddities, but I wonder how often they change their wine menu, as I would have liked to have a bit more choice by the glass.

Flight of Wines tasted:
1) Trocken, Weingut Wittmann ’08 Rheinhessen, Germany
2) Roero Arneis, Az. Agr. Bruno Giacosa ’07 Piedmont, Italy
3) Viognier Central Coast, Calera Wine Company ’06 California, U.S.A.

1 comment:

  1. I can add that the scallop first and lamb main were also very yummy!

    ReplyDelete