Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Taste of Little Italy




On the weekend I attended the Taste Little Italy Wine & Food Show, as part of La Vendemmia, Ottawa's 13th Annual Celebration of Italian Wine and Food. When I arrived, the line was right out the door, as foodies and winos alike were anxious to get inside and start tasting. Once inside, the grand hall in Sala San Marco was already buzzing with activity--people everywhere you turned were gulping back wines, noshing on Italian dishes, enjoying scrumptious desserts and even dancing from table to table to the lively beats of local band, Espresso.




I tasted a few wines myself as well as partook in some of the local culinary treats. Especially savoury were the oysters from Big Easy's and the Applewood Smoked Cheddar from Nicastro's. I washed down my Italian treats with a few different wines; most notably Montalto Pinot Grigio and Antinori Peppoli Chianti Classico.



Included in the ticket was an invitation to go next door to DiVino and their 2nd annual Olive Oil Showcase. Antonio and his friends had a variety of olive oils available to taste and purchase, and he was screening an educational video in his tasting room.



The olive oil vendors were very informative and fun to chat with -- I left with a bottle of Fragranza Novella Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Sicily. Rachael Ray would be proud.



I enjoyed my little taste of Little Italy that day and look forward to attending more events at La Vendemmia next year.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment