Sunday, September 27, 2009

Literary Snack

A while back, I wrote some fun little character sketches based on interesting characters I'd encountered in my life. I recently realized I ended up referencing food or drink in almost every one without planning to do so!

I hope you enjoy this light reading as you curl up on a rainy fall day with your beverage of choice. The fantastic accompanying sketches were done by my talented sister, Wendy Heagney-Bakewell of WHDesigns.

So, without further ado, I bring you the first literary snack:



I met James at a wine-tasting party organized by my friend Heidi. He spent summers in France, had a fabulously lean body, smoked too many cigarettes and could give a complete dissertation on Bordeaux. My first impression of him was that he was an arrogant trust fund baby who would spend the entire night looking over my shoulder for the next hot blonde who entered the room. But James surprised me when I realized he was spending more time listening to me and gazing into my eyes than glancing around the room. Normally I would have still had my guard up, assuming he was a player, but I had to admit this brilliant blue eyed monster was winning me over. After 3 glasses of a robust Cab-Merlot and about 30 minutes of witty repartee with James, I was hooked. Before long we were out on Heidi’s terrace, making out like teenagers. To say that he was a good kisser would be an understatement. I guess all those summers in France had paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment